Seth Godin is very big on the importance of shipping. It means overcoming your fear and getting something out – suggesting an idea that might be stupid, asking a question everyone else already knows the answer to, sending an email that might sound silly (like this one). ie. Just generally putting something out there.
I have now seen the example I am going to use as a reminder to myself on the importance of shipping – and it is Minecraft.
Minecraft is a computer game (video trailer) designed and built by Markus “Notch” Peterson. The game is not finished and is not even at the pre-release “Beta” stage yet. But that hasn’t stopped it becoming a hit (with comparisons to World of Warcraft) – so much so that the website couldn’t handle all the traffic and Notch has had to shut down everything fancy on his website and let anyone play it for free for a time.
Some office cultures include secrecy and waiting for a perfect launch as critical because they are concerned about “white-anting” (basically a termite analogy) of their idea by other staff.
Maybe though, if you are aiming for something great, you should look to share your idea and encourage others to join you by asking their questions and sharing their ideas, in the hope that the idea becomes so much stronger.
PS. ”Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
I would normally have written a post on some topic this week but have seen numerous things that have just got me looking at the world going…what is wrong with all of us?
Much like a brainstorming process where you need to write the idea down to get it out so you can move to the next one, I am going to try to cleanse my mind of these things by writing them down here. And then I will move on.
Some of these I have problems with for completely different reasons, and not just the main headline or point of the articles. I have shown the links so you will know exactly what you are getting if you click on them (undoubtedly, some will cause offense).
So here goes, APPARENTLY…
– It’s a feel good story if a smoking toddler quits – http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/SEAsia/Story/STIStory_574070.html
– The homeless are more responsible for their plight than we think – http://www.theawl.com/2010/08/why-is-american-selfishness-so-widespread-now
– People can be not given a job, or interviewed, because they don’t have a positive online presence – http://daveibsen.typepad.com/5_blogs_before_lunch/2010/08/rejected-outright-for-the-job-because-of-their-online-image-.html
– The American left is in serious trouble because they aren’t prepared to play as dirty as the right – http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/have-you-no-decency-083110
– US Government protection from revealing sources should only extend to traditional media – http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/commentary.aspx?id=23303
– There is a serious problem with letting people play a game from either side of a conflict when the game can be sold near an emotive location – http://www.theawl.com/2010/09/videogame-mocks-everything-america-stands-for
– You can exhibit (as art) a one night stand – http://www.watoday.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/a-single-mans-onenight-stand-in-fleeting-exhibition-20100831-14f9j.html
– We don’t have to think through hoax ads – http://www.nerdcore.de/wp/2010/09/02/legendary-time-traveller-speaks/
– You ought to be the gatekeeper of your own work, rather than be forced to deal with a gatekeeper that has already earned their audience (I normally love Seth Godin’s stuff) – http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2010/08/just-launched-linchpin-on-the-vook-on-the-ipad.html
– We should be careful about those positive archetypes – http://www.influxinsights.com/blog/article/2576/why-do-we-trust-farmers-.html
– You can get away with it, if no one wants to come after you – http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/curtin-lecturer-implicated-in-sexformarks-scandal-with-students-20100902-14p4g.html
– We can trust announcements – http://www.theawl.com/2010/08/the-american-experiment-on-the-last-day-of-the-war
– We only do things because someone else has an agenda – http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2010/08/billionaire-koch-brothers.html
I’m sure that I will feel better soon….
Now. Moving On.
PS. “Build a bridge. Get over it.”